- seat belt
- nouna safety belt used in a car or plane to hold you in your seat in case of an accident• Syn: ↑seatbelt
* * *noun: an arrangement of straps or webbing designed to hold a person steady in a seat (as during the takeoff of an airplane or in an automobile collision)
* * *a belt or strap in an automobile, airplane, etc., fastened around or sometimes diagonally across the midsection to keep the person safely secured, as during a sudden stop. Also, seatbelt. Also called safety belt. Cf. lap belt.[1945-50]
* * *seat belt noun(also safety belt) an adjustable belt for holding the occupant firmly in his or her aircraft seat, car seat, etc• • •Main Entry: ↑seat
* * *a strong belt in a car or plane that you fasten around yourself to hold you in your seat
* * *seat belt,a strap attached to the seat of an automobile or airplane, and buckled across the occupant's lap to hold him in the seat in the event of a crash, jolt, or bump; safety belt.
* * *(also seatbelt) n. a belt or strap securing a person to prevent injury, esp. in a vehicle or aircraft
* * *noun, pl ⋯ belts [count]: a strap on a vehicle's seat that holds a person in the seat if there is an accident
Fasten your seat belt.
* * *a belt that is attached to the seat in a car or a plane and that you fasten around yourself so that you are not thrown out of the seat if there is an accident
Fasten your seat belts.See also: ↑safety beltCollocations:Having a carride a motorcycle/motorbikedrive/prefer/use an automatic/a manual/(NAmE, informal) a stick shifthave/get your car serviced/fixed/repairedbuy/sell a used car/(especially BrE) a second-hand cartake/pass/fail a (BrE) driving test/(both NAmE) driver's test/road testput on/fasten/ (NAmE) buckle/wear/undo your seat belt/safety beltput/turn/leave the key in the ignitionstart the car/enginepress/put your foot on the brake pedal/clutch/acceleratorrelease the clutch/(especially BrE) the handbrake/(both NAmE) the emergency brake/the parking brakedrive/park/reverse the car(especially NAmE) signal that you are turning left/righttake/miss (BrE) the turning/(especially NAmE) the turnapply/hit/slam on the brake(s)Problems and accidentsa car skids/crashes (into sth)/collides (with sth)swerve to avoid an oncoming car/a pedestriancrash/lose control of the carhave/be in/be killed in/survive a car crash/a car accident/(NAmE) a car wreck/a hit-and-runbe run over/knocked down by a car/bus/truckget/have (BrE) a flat tyre/a flat tire/a punctureinflate/change/fit/replace/check a tyre/tireTraffic and driving regulationsbe caught in/get stuck in/sit in a traffic jamcause congestion/tailbacks/traffic jams/gridlockexperience/face lengthy delaysbeat/avoid the traffic/the rush hourbe caught on (BrE) a speed camerastop sb for/pull sb over for/ (BrE, informal) be done for speedingbe arrested for/charged with (BrE) drink-driving/(both US) driving under the influence (DUI)/driving while intoxicated (DWI)
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
seat belt — seat belts also seatbelt N COUNT A seat belt is a strap attached to a seat in a car or an aircraft. You fasten it across your body in order to prevent yourself being thrown out of the seat if there is a sudden movement. The fact I was wearing a… … English dictionary
seat belt — also safety belt AmE n a belt attached to the seat of a car or plane which you fasten around yourself for protection in an accident … Dictionary of contemporary English
seat belt — seat ,belt noun count a strong belt in a car or airplane that you fasten around yourself to hold you in your seat: SAFETY BELT … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
seat belt — ► NOUN ▪ a belt used to secure someone in the seat of a motor vehicle or aircraft … English terms dictionary
seat belt — seat′ belt n. aum a configuration of straps designed to keep a vehicle passenger firmly secure • Etymology: 1945–50 … From formal English to slang
seat belt — n. 1. a device consisting of an anchored strap or straps that buckle across the hips to hold a seated passenger safely in place as during a collision 2. such a device combined with a SHOULDER HARNESS, as in an automobile: Also written seatbelt n … English World dictionary
Seat belt — This article is about the safety device. For the band, see The Seatbelts. A 3 point seat belt … Wikipedia
seat belt — A passive restraint system which encircles the hips to prevent the occupant from being ejected from the vehicle. Often the seat belt is part of the shoulder harness. The use of seat belts is mandatory in every province and state in North America… … Dictionary of automotive terms
Seat belt — A belt used to hold an individual in their seat. Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for teenagers in the United States. Over 70% of those killed were not wearing seat belts. Seat belts can help reduce death and injury by up to … Medical dictionary
seat belt — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms seat belt : singular seat belt plural seat belts a strong belt in a car or plane that you fasten around yourself to hold you in your seat … English dictionary